Minor Modifications and Improvements.
thought it would be good to share these in case anyone would find the
totally stripped CRINKER during the winter months and while doing general
maintenance I decided to improve a few things that I had noticed during the
previous sailing season, removed all fittings including chain plates, fairleads,
thwart, cleats etc.
All timber sanded and re varnished including mast, spars and oars, antifouled, repainted bootstripe, waxed and polished inside and out. ! dont use International Yacht Varnish.(2008)
New centreplate housing trim made in Malaysian Meranti and varnished. The previous one was being destroyed by the centreplate having no stopper on it when hitting the wood. It hit causing a nasty looking dent eventually splitting the wood down the middle. Also it was being seriously ground on one corner and chafed by the mainsheet tackle.
Last updated 17 October, 2012
Mk2 After some time and some heavy sailing weather the wire on the Mk1 version started to fray and would eventually fail. So a new design was made quite simply with some spare pieces of stainless steel and a shackle. It has proved far superior and is extremely strong. Again it keeps the mainsheet centered and does not chafe the centreplate trim. I am certain no more modifications will be needed now. It also leaves me with two handy eyelets for securing accessories and for lashing things to the boat.
A brief report on the Picarooner Modified Rudder
After launching CRINKER at Penmarlem Quay yesterday, I put a dab of grease on the pintles and found the rudder much lighter to lift and fit over the stern. She went on much easier than the original as I think the pintles and gudgeons were better alligned. (for better or worse? see why later) The turning circle under power was much better and going astern was fine. Motoring down the River Fowey the tiller seemed a little lighter, perhaps there is more leverage. After leaving the Fowey River and heading out to sea there was a good WNW blowing, so it was perfect to try the rudder under sail. All went well. Tried all points of sail and let her self steer no problems. Chased a few old Luggers and gaffers that were heading out of Looe after their Bi-annual Lugger regatta (See short video below) Being close hauled and flying along I thought I would just see how tight the rudder fitted and leaned over to give it a gentle pull up, whoops! the rudder came up immediately and popped off the gudgeons. Rudder in hand I eased the Main and backed the Jib to heave too. This allowed me a chance to hang over the stern and pop her back on. Stuck a bit of Monel wire throught the Pintle hole for safety and off we went again. Conclusion.........very happy with the Modified Rudder and found it more relaxing coming in to my moorings knowing we are not going to pick up a line and not worrying about grounding. From now on as a precaution I will be using an R clip through the top Pintle.
Hope this if of help to other Picarooner owners.
Tacking a Picarooner
Ahh that was unlucky, well then it happens again and you start to think what I can do to fix it.
Things I have seen and heard of so far are:-
Before & After
Check your trailer bearings NOW!!!
I have always kept a check on the bearings on my trailer and made sure they are well lubricated with grease including a good hose off with fresh water after launching or recovering.
After hauling out my boat this year 2008. I drove home (approx 10 miles) stopping off at the local service station to power wash the bottom of CRINKER. On reaching my garage and starting to reverse I noticed a terrible grinding sound.
On Inspection the Port side Wheel Bearings had completely collapsed with the wheel holding on at an acute angle and the dust cap was lying on the tarmac. I managed to get the boat in the garage and jack up the trailer and chock the boat.
Safety Note:- make sure when you jack up your trailer especially with the boat still on it, you chock the opposite wheel and also put some other supports under your trailer in case the jack fails.
I called the trailer manufacturer with the serial
number of the trailer and they advised me of what parts would be needed.
It was a messy afternoon after the parts arrived through the post,
cleaning off old grease hammering the races off the spindles and knocking
the old races out of the hubs then installing new bearings and races.
It was fortunate for me that I was not traveling a great distance to take the boat home as being stuck at the side of the road with bearings gone is definitely going to spoil your day. Not to mention the risk of a serious accident. Or heaven forbid damage to CRINKER.
From now on, as I only do one launch and one recovery a year. I have decided to remove the hubs after a dunking then clean, dry and re grease if necessary.
It does not take long and only costs a couple of split pins. As with all things your first attempt to do this will take a little longer but once you have seen how it goes together you will be much quicker. The benefits are peace of mind, safety and bearings that should last a long time.
the story for Boat and Trailer owners is check your trailer bearings NOW! don't
have had a successful season practicing your good Seamanship I would hate
for anyone to experience disaster on the way home by not practicing good
Trailermanship if there is such a word.
The above modifications and maintenance were all fairly easy to do with little cost and just help to reduce maintenance, make her easier and more efficient to sail with the added benefit of being a little safer and more fun. I will add some before and after photos when I get chance!
Hope you may find something useful here for your Picarooner.
You will find many pictures of Picarooners and some of their modifications on the Picarooner Boat Register.
Please add your comments or modifications you have found useful in the text box below then press submit.